The new state of play
I’ve had my workflow working now, building the site quite nicely, although with a few more little gotchas along the way, and with some new added features for my situation.
This one caught me out, whilst I was developing some shortcodes I made a fork of the Poison theme which, as per the original theme, I include using git submodules:
git submodule add https://github.com/lukeorth/poison theme/poison
I noticed that my site as deployed life didn’t include the changes in my fork. This was down to my workflow checkout not including recursive submodule checks.
Once I’ve made that change, the submodule updates were included properly.
This one isn’t really Hugo’s fault, but mine as this site sits behind Cloudflare and caches everything. Fortunately there’s an action for dealing with cache purging already!
A quick bit of config in my workflow:
Some secrets added to my GitHub environment and it’s job done.